Thursday, September 29, 2011

Laugh Out Loud

Today I was doing chores in the yard all afternoon so I let Pamela and Meredith roam while I cleaned the gutters, emptied the compost bins, and set up a new bird feeder.  My girls like to get their exercise.  They roam the yard, scratch in the leaves, and peck at things that lie under the leaves.  I saw Meredith find a cherry tomato that fell off my deck and spit it out.  I guess she doesn't know good food when she finds it.  I happened to be looking at them out of the corner of my eye as they drank from my pond.  The pond is lined with limestone rocks.  Meredith stepped off the rock and into the pond.  I guess the thick duckweed and algae made it look solid.  You should have heard her squack.  It was hilarious.  She flapped her wings to safety but her left side got pretty wet.  I believe she has fully recovered from her fox attack.  She is moulting but her feathers look much better.  She has regained her position as the queen chicken and is back to telling Pamela what to do and being the leader.  Meredith is resilient.  A year ago, in the beginning of October, she was lost for ten days.  And it snowed several of those days.  She survived and was brought home again.  She survived a fox attack too.  Meredith is a touch chick.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...