Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pileated Woodpecker Came To Visit

I got home a little later than usual tonight and was rewarded with a pileated woodpecker sitting on my deck railing.  The woodpecker was staring at my suet feeder.  Gosh, those birds are huge.  I knew they were big but until I saw him sitting there in the same spot where the chickadees, chipping sparrows and goldfinches sit, I really couldn't appreciate their actual size.  This one was a male.  His red crested started right down at the beak and he had a red mustache.  I've always had a thing for mustaches.  He was beautiful.  After a few minutes, he tried to fly to the suet feeder which is suspended from a cable across the back yard.  The cable dipped down with his weight and that must have frightened him off because he didn't stay to eat.  What a nice treat to see such a large and odd yet beautiful bird so close.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...