Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Golden Trees

Outside the building where I work is a series of  three sidewalk islands in the parking lot.  Each island has two beautiful trees, one on each side of the sidewalk.  In the fall the trees are especially beautiful because of their horizontal branches and intense color.  The color starts out with a lemon yellow and then deepens into a rich gold.  These trees stand in a line like sentries in front of a castle.  They are truly gorgeous.  Because I go to many meetings, and I always sit on the side of the table where I can look out of the window, I have plenty of time to admire them.  This year I decided to figure out what kind of trees they actually are. So today, at quitting time, I nonchalantly took my camera outside to get a picture and bring a leaf inside.  I guess I wasn't nonchalant enough because I was asked if I was involved in the "hit and run" that just happened in the parking lot.  I suppose he noticed the camera in my hand.  Anyway, I just walked past the police car and snapped this photo.  I have a small pamphlet about Minnesota trees that has a scientific key.  As it turns out the alternate, compound egg shaped leaflets with finely toothed margins belong to a honey locust tree.  When they're older, the trees will probably get those 10-18 inch long seed pods that remind me of beans.  Honey locust - even the name is beautiful.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...