Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Letter on the Mailbox

I had a note attached to my mailbox yesterday.  The note is from a woman who lives about a block away.  I have never met her.  The letter says she found a feral kitten living in her yard last summer.  She provided food and shelter for the kitten last winter and planned to live-trap her and have her "fixed."  Before she could live trap the feral kitten, she had a litter of four kittens.  The neighbor live trapped all 5 cats and had them spayed or neutered and vaccinated.  We shouldn't worry about the cats reproducing or spreading disease.  She said the cats are feral and not suitable as pets.   She enjoyed the cats as part of her routine. She fed them and provided them with food and a heated, predator proof shelter and plenty of straw.  The letter says that as of Tuesday the cats are missing.  The mother is a calico. Two of the kittens are gray tabbies, one is gray and orange with white feet and the last one is rather homely mix of gray and orange.  The neighbor says she realizes that nature must take its course and they may not all survive.  She just wanted us to be aware of the situation.  I'm not quite sure what I think about this.  The woman seems to be an animal lover.  But in her animal loving, she is being rather hard on the songbirds around here.  I could tell her about the gray fox that has been hanging out on our block but I doubt that would give her any comfort.  She sounds like a very nice and reasonable person and I think it's cool that she is reaching out to her neighbors like she did.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...