Saturday, March 22, 2014

Bingo's Run

I would not have guessed that this book was written by a Mayo Clinic physician.  Bingo's Run is about a drug runner who lives in Kibera, the slum area of Nairobi, Kenya.  James A Levine, who is not from Africa, wrote the story about Bingo who runs drugs from the drug lord to the customers.  A little person, Bingo has a good sense of humor and an odd commitment to be be the best drug runner he can be. He has a purpose in life and take pride in his work. Bingo runs down Kenyatta Boulevard.  When I traveled to Nairobi, I rode down Kenyatta Boulevard past Kibera.  I saw the piles of trash, the many paths between the tin structures, and the kids hanging out.  I remember feeling appalled and fascinated at the same time.  Reading Bingo's Run makes Kibera come to life for me just as I imagined it would be; a horrible place.  Bingo is resilient, adaptable and criminal.  I enjoy books that take me out of my own life and put me in another place.  And this book definitely did that.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...