Friday, March 7, 2014

Two Faced

I tried to keep my professional face on at a meeting today but I know I wasn't entirely successful because the woman across from me turned around to see what I was looking at out the window. In our conference room I always sit so I can look out the window.  And I was paying attention, I swear I was.  But I saw a soaring bird being attacked by two crows.  The soaring bird made huge circles in the sky while the crows dive bombed it.  The crow actually hit it in the head.  The soaring bird was huge and it had a white tail.  Was it a bald eagle?  No, the entire underside was white.  And it was big but not as big as an eagle. Could this be a snowy owl being attacked by crows?  By now it is true I had quit listening to the discussion.   Excitement must have showed on my face.  What I wanted to do was yell, "Is that a snowy owl being chased by those crows?" and run to the window, open the vertical blinds, and disrupt the entire meeting.  But I didn't do that.  I am a professional. I tried to keep my "paying attention" face on.  I can squelch my personal excitements for the sake of a meeting when I am paid to do so.  I watched as one crow broke off the chase and the other one kept up the harassment.  Could this be an unusually white breasted red tailed hawk?  The head shape wasn't sleek and pointed like a hawk but more rounded like an owl.  How exciting! I never got a good look at the back of the bird against the cloudy sky but it seemed very light.  I think this is a snowy owl!  Eventually the crow and the soaring bird circled out of my sight.  Back on track now, I reengaged my brain into this meeting.  This particular group of people has some very charming people in it so it wasn't hard to get my mind on the topic.  But I think I may have seen another snowy owl.  I haven't heard of any being in Blaine but you never know.  I am 60% sure I saw a snowy in Blaine.  So this was a good meeting and I didn't even mind that much that it went 40 minutes longer than I had hoped.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...