Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chatterbox

Today Offspring #2 and I did a little shopping and then had lunch at the Chatterbox on France Avenue.  This is  a cute place that has booths, tables, and chairs in front of televisions hooked up with gaming consoles.  Board games and video games are available to play before, during or after your meal.  We played Trivial Pursuit (the 90's).  And then our order came.  I had a spinach artichoke frittata, a biscuit, hash browns and we split blueberry cheese blintzes.  I took a bite of hash browns.  They were darker brown that I usually see and very crunchy. What is this sensation coming over me? They were delicious!  The crunchy bits of brown potato - I took another bite.  These hash browns were so good I would have thought I had taken an appetite enhancer pill if there was such a thing.  Normally I would focus on the protein (frittata) and just pick at the carbs such as hash browns but I could not stop myself; they were that good.  And when the hash browns were gone I peeked under my frittata to see if any delicious hash brown remnants were hiding from me.  Lucky me!  I found some more.  I ate some of the frittata and it was good too.  And since I already blew my diet on the hash browns I ate the biscuit.  The biscuit was carb heaven but not as good as the hash browns.  Since I knew I couldn't eat all this food, I thought I'd have one of the blintzes too.  Wow!  The cheese and the berries - it was so freaking delicious!  When the waitress came by I asked, "What makes these hash browns taste so delicious?"  She said the secret was the green onions.  I asked if they were cooked in bacon fat.  I told her I was a vegetarian and I hoped they weren't cooked in bacon fat.  Frankly, I was ready to give up being a vegetarian to get hash browns like this again.  Later she returned and reported that the hash browns were fried in clarified butter.  She boxed up my frittata.  The Chatterbox has lots of vegetarian sandwiches and burgers. But forget that!  I'm going back again someday and I'm getting the hash browns.  As we drove away down France Avenue, my gut was sending pleasurable feelings to my brain.  These hash browns were so delicious I enjoyed them as I ate them and as I digested them. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...