Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cutting For Stone

I was sad to come to the end of this very long book Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese.  I listened to it on CD and the reader, Sunil Malhotra, is so good he could read the phone book and I'd be interested.  He's so good that hot is part of his name.  Most of the story takes places in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  What a gorgeous name - Addis Ababa.  And I love the syncopated beauty of the name of the country Ethiopia.  The story is about identical twins, Marion and Shiva Stone.  These two orphaned boys are as close as can be growing up in a mission hospital and raised by doctors from India.  Both boys become leaders of medical surgery.  Their story and the story of their birth parents and their actual parents is fascinating, lovely, sad and joyful.  Like I said, I hated to have this book come to an end even though it was 19 cd's long.  Someday I think I want to travel to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Reading this book has stirred up an interest in me. I have four categories for travel: 1. not safe to go, 2. would go with a guided tour, 3. would go with a friend and 4. would go on my own.  Ethiopia I think I would go with a guided tour.  I'm too afraid to go alone or even with a friend.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...