Monday, June 2, 2014

All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes

My local library put up a display of all of Maya Angelou's publications.  That caught my eye.  I was sad to learn of her passing.  I can remember reading only one of her books, I Know Why A Caged Bird Sings.  That book was an autobiography of her childhood.  This book, All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes is another autobiography but this time she's in her 30's and living with her son in Ghana, Africa.  She's a very good writer.  I can picture the city, Accra, she lives in and almost smell the food she describes.  She meets very interesting people including Malcolm X and Cassius Clay.  Maya talks about her country, the United States of America, from the perspective of living in Africa.  Unlike some of us who never question our patriotism, Maya Angelou takes a long, hard, deep look at the USA; the country that enslaved her ancestors.  She knows discrimination.  She knows racism.  Maya has the ability to see those qualities even in her own behavior and attitudes.  She has a refreshing and shameless self image.  This book was so good I think I'll read more.  I believe she wrote seven autobiographies; each detail a different section of the life of Maya Angelou.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...