Sunday, June 8, 2014

Crazy Rich Asians

I'm not sure why I chose to read Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.  I think I wanted a funnier story after finishing Maya Angelou's autobiography.  This was a funny story yet behind the comedy lurked a sadness.  Rich people really don't have it all.  Maybe they have private jets and exclusive, luxurious vacations and designer clothes but is that what life is about?  In my mind, life is about relationships.  Wealthy people don't always have that.  You can't buy respect.  Trust is not for sale.  This is a funny/sad story about some outlandishly rich yet unhappy people living in Singapore. The story describes a city and a society unfamiliar to me.  I'd like to go to Singapore someday for maybe a day or two.  I wouldn't want to spend very much time on such a highly populated island. In this story a young woman named Rachel Chu goes to Singapore with her boyfriend Nicholas Young.  She doesn't know that he is one of the super rich Asians.  She becomes a target because she is liked by one of the richest eligible bachelors in Singapore and because she is ABC (American born Chinese) and because she comes from the middle class.  He doesn't prepare her for her journey into the Crazy Rich Asian society.  Rachel is a likeable character and this was a likeable novel.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...