Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Possum

I found this possum in my prairie area where the grass had been matted down. This is the first possum I've seen in my yard. Either it's dead or an excellent actor or actress. It's about 5 inches long.   I'm pretty sure it's dead because I came back to photograph it an hour later and it had not moved. I didn't see any injuries on it so maybe it died of natural causes.  I don't think it has been here very long.  Earlier I noticed lots of loose feathers in the chicken coop so I knew something had upset my girls.  I suspected it was the fox but maybe it was a possum.  Although I am the one who pays taxes on this property, I am not the only one living a life here.  Look at the hands and feet on this tiny possum - they remind me of the Mr. Potato Head toy I had as a child.

4 comments:

Laura said...

your possum looks like a mole to me.

Sue said...

Is it a mole?

Sue said...

What is a mole doing dead up on the grass like that?

Laura said...

maybe a neighbor has poisoned it and it walked to your yard to die?

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...