Friday, May 1, 2015

Blinged Out Deer

I have a herd of deer that use the mown paths in my backyard to travel east and west.  Once in a while they use the driveway too.  In winter I see by their tracks that they use the front sidewalk and come right up to the front door. They stop and eat stuff in my yard and drink from the pond.  I think they look at me as an intruder on their lives.  I'm watched them gambol and play together.  There is one out there who is visibly pregnant but many times I have trouble telling one from the other.  Most of them look exactly alike.  They all have brown eyes, four long and bony legs,  long eye lashes, white tails, and protruding hip bones.  But this week I saw one deer that I will have no trouble distinguishing from the other deer.  This deer is wearing a necklace.  I kid you not.  Around her neck is a black plastic strap like one you might see around a case of copy paper.  The strap isn't tight enough to cause her trouble but it is too tight to come off easily over her chin and ears.  I sure hope she doesn't catch it on something if ever she runs in a panic.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...