Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Goodby to Beasatie Naturalist

A year ago I won a huge prize at the Master Naturalist convention.  I was one win away from winning a free 2015 Master naturalist convention fee.  Because of the timing of the arrival of my new grandchild, I was SO lucky not to win the convention fee.  Instead I won Beastie Naturalist.  Mounted on an oval plaque was a hunk of root with various protrusions and horns.  At first glance a regular person may wonder, "What the hell?"  After closer inspection and rapid reflection, that and learning that this "artwork" had a name and a facebook account, I reconsidered my opinion in about three seconds and decided to be honored with my win.  Attitude can be everything.  I posed for photos with Beastie Naturalist and took Beastie on many adventures.  Together we traveled in Ramsey, Coon Rapids, Anoka, Freedham, Kroschel, Garrison, to Jeffers Petroglypsh, to the Mille Lacs Indian Museum, to the Minnesota State Fair, to Carlos Avery WMA, to Sherburne NWR, to Crex Meadows in Grandburg, Wisconsin, and to the state parks of Afton, Rice Lake and Sibley plus Pioneer Park in Stillwater.  Beastie and I got around and had lots of fun. Beastie posed with other beasts.  If you don't mind my name dropping, Beastie posed with Smokey the Bear, the Mille Lacs giant walleye, and a buffalo in Comfrey, Minnesota.  As much as I was honored to have "won" Beastie Naturalist, I feel it is important that this mascot move on to another Master Naturalist next year.  Beastie is migrating to the next conference with a friend as I won't be there this year.  Beastie has only been gone one day and I already miss it.  I sincerely hope the next winner has as much fun with Beastie Naturalist as I did.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...