Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Evangeline, A Tale of Archadie

I just finished reading Evangeline, A Tale of Archadie by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I got a history lesson in the process.  This story is actually a long poem and is written about the historical events of the British forcing a French village in Canada to vacate the town and leave all their belongings to the King.  Some of the people left to go to Cajun area of Louisianan.  Others went to New England.  This story is about a young woman who just becomes engaged.  Her fiancee and his father leave on one boat.  She waits at the shore with her father who dies before it is time to leave.  She buries her father and leaves her home to find her fiancee.  This is just about the saddest story I have ever read.  I did enjoy the descriptions of the family life, the scenery, and the travel.  I quickly got used to reading the poem.  This story is less poem like that most poems.  Although Evangeline is a fictional character there are statues of her in Louisianan and in Nova Scotia.  Evangeline is famous!  I hope my granddaughter's life is nothing like this Evangeline though .

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...