Friday, May 8, 2015

Tasty Tree

Almost two years ago I attended a edible wild plants class offered at a state park on the Saint Croix River.  Our instructor mentioned basswood leaves.  I perked up because I have basswood trees.  She said that in the spring the young leaves of the basswood are delicious eaten as a salad.  I remembered that this morning as I was packing my lunch.  I am planning a trip so I am down to slim pickings as far as fresh produce goes.  So after I threw a vegie burger in my lunch pail I went outside to my back yard and picked some basswood leaves to top my fake hamburger.  The leaves were small.  I believe the largest leaf was 2 inches long and vibrant green in color.  After harvesting my tree I packed the leaves in my lunch pail and ate them for lunch.  And.  They. Were. Delicious!  Crisp like lettuce and tastier than spinach the basswood leaves had a slightly sweeter taste.  I was surprised how tasty they were.  I will have to try that again someday.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...