Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Man Called Ove

Fredrik Backman is the author of A Man Called Ove. As I read it I noticed a pattern.  I would read something about Ove that caused me to judge him harshly and then the author would give us some background on Ove that made his actions seem reasonable.  I would think Ove is a mean curmudgeon who deserved to be thrown out of a hospital after punching a clown but then I learn that Ove is sweet, loving, and principled; a man of virtue.  The story was a delightful mix of contrasts.  Brutality mixed with love, Ove has had a difficult life.  I had to connect with him in regard to his feelings for the cat that showed up in his life.  As much as he doesn't like cats and doesn't want the responsibility of a cat, he treats the cat with respect even though the cat disdains him and gave him a look, "as if I owed it money."  The author is a very funny man and he wrote a wonderful book. The book gave me a lesson on judging (or not judging) others. While I read it I lived in a suburban neighborhood of Norway and it felt good to get out of Minnesota if only for a little while.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...