Monday, March 28, 2016

Sorry For Your Ham and Cheesy Potatoes

Yesterday my power went out at about noon. I am not used to that.  With our power lines underground in my neighborhood, our power doesn't go out very often and when it does go out, it's usually back in a minute or less.  I hardly knew what to do.  First I checked that it wasn't just my power our.  My neighbors confirmed it wasn't just me.  Then I went to call the power company.  I wasn't even sure of the name.  I recycled my phone books years ago thinking I could rely on the internet to look up phone numbers.  And my computer was charged so that would have worked except without power I had no power for my router so no internet.  I was cooking and that ended.  I was grateful the power went out on Easter instead of Thanksgiving and had crackers with peanut butter for lunch instead of the zucchini spaghetti I was cooking.  Offspring #1 had his power go out for four days.  I had no idea how long I would be out.  What if I was out of power for days? My flannel sheets were in the dryer.  Now I questioned my decision to live with only one set of sheets.  Was I frugal or foolish?  The weather was too rainy to hang them outside.  Well, I could live without sheets.  But could I live without water?  Without electricity to run the water pump in the well, I would have a limited amount of water.  What if it got cold?  Well, I have a fireplace.  The house was so silent without power.  No furnace fan running or any noise at all.  I couldn't listen to music.  I couldn't watch television.  I couldn't cook. What am I supposed to do?  I guess I'm not myself if I don't have electricity!  I sat down and read an old-fashioned book made out of paper.  After 90 minutes or so the power returned.  I had finished my book but wasn't quite ready to pick up on the chores where I had left off.  Today, on my answering machine, the power company left a message explaining the source of the problem and apologized for our ham and cheesy potatoes.  I have to admire the way they took responsibility!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...