Tuesday, March 1, 2016

At The Water's Edge

I chose to listen to Sara Gruen's novel At The Waters Edge because she also wrote Water For Elephants and I liked that book.  This book I didn't like as much.  For one thing, I did not like the complaining tone of the actress who read this book on CD.  At the end of almost every sentence the last part of the word was formed at the bottom of her throat and she almost moaned it out.  Her voice was freakily annoying.  On top of that the main character, Maddie, was annoying too.  I can understand anxiety and low self-esteem.  I get it when the scales of love fall from your eyes and you see the love of your life as he really appears which is a phony and therefore embarrassing.  I get feeling helpless.  But why stay in that emotional state and live there all the time? Grow a backbone, make changes, take charge of your life.  Or, be like Maddy and wring your hands and worry until a knight in shining armor comes by.  I didn't hate the entire book; just the main character and the voice of the woman who read it  Most of the story takes place in Scotland near Loch Ness and to tell the truth, now I want to go there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...