Sunday, March 13, 2016

Mourning Cloak Spotting

Saturday was a beautiful day so I went for a walk searching for signs of spring.  I walked the trails along the Mississippi.  I heard chickadees and robins and juncos and blue jays and crows and mallards and golden eye ducks.  I had my eyes roaming up and down looking for messages from my favorite season.  The air was warm like spring but I found no blooming hepatica in the forest or bluebirds perched on branches. The path I walked on was slightly muddy in spots.  Sometimes I kept my eyes on the path to avoid getting my shoes wet. As I looked down I saw the shadow of a flying creature above the shadow of my right shoulder.  I looked up to find it.  Was it a bird?  No, it was a mourning cloak; one of the first butterflies to be seen in the spring.  The dark brown wings trimmed with white are very distinctive.  I guess this butterfly saw me before I saw it. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...