Friday, September 23, 2016

A Friend Named Denise

After work I went to the gym to swim laps.  I finished and was getting ready for my shower when a song came on the speaker system.  Whew!  I travel back in time.  Here I am in 1975. I live in Saint Cloud.  I work at a nursing home part time to pay for my expenses at Saint Cloud State. I meet a new hire.  Her name is Denise. On break Denise and I talk.  She says she goes to Saint Cloud State.  I say, "I go to Saint Cloud State."  She says she is in the elementary education program.  I say, "I'm in the elementary education program."  She says she is from Roseville.  I say, "I AM FROM ROSEVILLE TOO!"  We become close friends.  Our friendship is intense.  Every time a song comes on the radio we loudly sing the chorus together.  Oh, we must have been so annoying!  I realize it now but at that time, Denise and I are having a great time together.  Three months later Denise quits her job.  I never see or hear from Denise again.  I haven't thought of Denise in years but today, in the shower, I softly sing the chorus and think of her. 

No comments:

Fair Hills

The MN Master Naturalist convention is partnering with the Detroit Lakes bird festival this year so we all met at the Fair Hills Resort on P...