Monday, September 12, 2016

No (Wo)Man Ever Sets Foot In The Same River Twice

It was Heraclitus, the Greek philosopher from 500 BC who said, "No man ever sets foot in the same river twice."  Wise, but sexist, I agree with Heraclitus.  The day was sunny and the water was high so I thought this trip down the Saint Croix River would be easy.  Yeah, no, the water was high and the waster was fast but the wind was blowing from the south at 22 mph.  We had to paddle to make progress.  Heck, we had to paddle to stay in the same place.  The wind was trying to blow us up Taylor's Falls to the upper Saint Croix.

T
Experienced paddlers are we.  How many years have we been doing this?  I think it is more than 20 years.  The Taylor's Falls Princess paddle boat paddles by.  We all wave because one of my siblings hates it when we wave.

At the Eagle's Nest rest stop we stop to trade paddlers.  I see a flower. I have heard of cardinal flowers and I deem this could be a cardinal flower. 

The wind is strong but we are stronger.  Just look at this canoe full of healthy, hardy young'un.  Can they be in a canoe by themselves?  Shoot!  We could hardly keep up with them.

I rename the woman in the back as Pocohantas.  She is an amazing paddler.  Who knew?  Shoot, I remember her complaining how hard she worked the entire way while she merely let her paddle float from front to back. That wind would have made me spin around in circles.  My Offspring #2 asks me, "How did you manage when we kids were smaller?"  Frankly, I have no idea.  I only know that we did.  And we have managed to keep the younger relatives interested in returning which is huge.

This trip had been rescheduled multiple times due to floods and schedules.  Having it on Sept. 11 is late but, on the other hand, makes my summer seem longer and I am good with that!

No comments:

Fair Hills

The MN Master Naturalist convention is partnering with the Detroit Lakes bird festival this year so we all met at the Fair Hills Resort on P...