Friday, September 30, 2016

Decisions!

We all make multiple decisions during the day. Pass or stay behind?  Speak up or hold your tongue?  I try to make reasonable decisions based on fact and not emotion but I'm not totally successful.  Three months ago, a mere 15 minutes prior to surgery to replace my Medtronic spinal stimulator battery, I made a decision.  In my anxiety I asked, "What do you do with the old battery?""  The surgeon replied, "I think we throw them in the trash."   Knowing this battery has brought me so much relief and probably cost a boat load of money I asked, "Can I have it back?"   It seemed logical at the time. So this week I came home from a long day at work to find a Fedex note on my door saying I needed to be home to sign for a delivery. Not knowing what it was, I wasn't that excited about this delivery.  I spent 10 minutes speaking loudly into the Fedex answering system without success I finally got to speak with a real human who informed me the delivery was from Medtronic.  Remembering back to a pre-surgical conversation about the battery, I knew I wanted this delivery.  I made arrangements to pick up my package from a closer Fedex location. I picked up my package.  I got my battery. I remembered back to that conversation. "I want that battery back," I said, "It has traveled to three continents."  The Medtronic representative asked, "Which three continents?"  I replied, "North
America, South America, Africa, and wait, Australia too!  Four continents (sounding a lot like the Count from Sesame Street)!"  So now I have a battery sitting on my coffee table and I wonder why I wanted this? In June it seemed important.  Now I wonder, was this the best decision?  Is it really a conversation piece?  Yes, this blessed battery has brought me much relief from the pain of sciatica, but do I really want the battery?  I know the battery has been sanitized and filled with epoxy and etched with the words, "not for human use" although it has been for a very human use, my human use to be exact.  Did I make a reasonable decision? Cut me some slack.  Things gets nervous facing surgery!  The implant of this battery was the conception of "Orange-Sue" so for that reason alone, it seems important.
 

No comments:

Fair Hills

The MN Master Naturalist convention is partnering with the Detroit Lakes bird festival this year so we all met at the Fair Hills Resort on P...