Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Fugitive Remanded to Custody

The writer Willa Cather wrote "Success is never so interesting as struggle."  While that is true, I am glad this runaway chicken is back in custody. Frankly I was getting tired of walking around the yard failing to capture this chicken.  Every day of freedom made her a little more wily.  I was pretty sure I would catch her tonight.  I got home at 9:15 pm and looked for her in her usual roosting spot - near the trunk of a blue spruce tree surrounded by poky sharp branches.  She wasn't there!  So I searched the neighboring trees, the wood pile, the deck, the driveway, the coop, and the entire yard making a large circle back to the same spruce tree.  The full moon helped me see better. Coming from the other side, I saw her eye reflect the light from my flashlight.  She was perched close to the trunk on the other side of the spruce and 5 feet higher than before.  Now she was higher than my head.  This wasn't going to be easy.  I turned off my flashlight and stuck it in the waist band of my pants.  I moved closer.  Her branch swayed a little. She stood up.  I was ready for this.  I had my knee boots on, a raincoat to protect me from the sharp stabs, my hood up to protect my hair from getting tangled. and gardening gloves on.  Safety glasses would have come in handy but I didn't have those. She was too close to the trunk for me to get one hand on either side of her so I grabbed her back and her breast and hung on tight.  She squawked and flapped her wings.  I held her tight.  She was mine.  As I carried her across the yard back to her home I gave her a talking to out loud and with much emphasis.  The guilt?  I laid it on as thick as I could.  I told her, "All I ever wanted for you is to give you a safe home with clean water, good food and companionship.  Why did you give me so much trouble?  You acted like I was trying to kill you when all I have ever done is care for you.  Is this the thanks I deserve? All I ask in return is to come home and lay an occasional egg.  I'm a vegetarian for Pete's sake!"

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...