Monday, April 24, 2017

One Hundred Years of Solitude

I picked up this book from the library because I saw it on a list of best novels somewhere. I had no idea it had been translated into 37 languages.  The story takes place in Columbia, South America and covers 100 years and seven generations of the Jose' Arcardio Buendiaz and his wife Ursula.  This couple founds the town of Macando.  Some of the stories involve magic and some involve actual events in Columbia.  Many things happen in 100 years including civil wars and American fruit companies taking advantage of the country folk.  The railroad comes to town. The male heirs of Jose' and Ursula tend to be reckless and impulsive and the females are strong and successful.  I liked this book because it is so different from those I usually read.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...