Wednesday, April 5, 2017

My Pal, Migwe

I thought it was ten years this year but I guess I've had my canary, Migwe, for only 9 years.  I received the gift of a canary in 2007 but I didn't pick him up from the Robbinsdale Farm and Garden until late winter in 2008.  My Russian canary named Migwe.  What a pal he has been.  Every morning I say, "Have a good day Migwe" as I leave.  In the evening I say, "Hi. I am home.  Anybody call?"  He doesn't answer me but he does listen.  To celebrate our anniversary I searched my yard for the new dandelion plants.  First of the year dandelion leaves?  Migwe thinks they are delicious.  He's a good bird, that Migwe.  To be honest, he is also messy.  Have you ever tries to sweep up feathers?  Sweeping up feathers is a sisphean task.  I realize that when I eat I drop a few crumbs and spill a few drops.  I think Migwe throws his food out of the cage on purpose and since he eats a lot of round seeds, they roll all over the kitchen.  I sweep up the seeds with a broom and they travel much farther than I wish they would. To help in the clean up task I bought a hand vacuum.  That helps such up the feathers and the round seeds.  But the vacuum also sends a burst of air out the back end and can really send those feathers and round seeds around.  I complain but I love my Migwe.  Does he love me back?  It's hard to tell.  Sometimes I play a you-tube video of a Russian canary singing and Migwe comes alert but he doesn't say thank you.  On the other hand, every time I fill his food dish with fresh food and his water dish with warm water (warm because he always takes a bath first) Migwe looks me in the eye, bends his head down, and opens his wings.  Like a bow to the queen, I take this as a Russian canary version of Thanks!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...