Friday, April 7, 2017

I Got Smudged

Today was a good day. I got smudged.  Smudging is a Native American way to start a meeting. Burn a braided section of sage in a clam shell. Use your hands to bring to smoke over your head to thank your Creator for being here, on this day, at this place.  At a meeting today I brought the sage smoke over my head four times.  I had a part in this awesome ceremony - a first for us at work as far as I know.  I checked with my supervisor.  I checked with the property management of my building.  He said it would be fine and got transferred soon after that.  So I asked the next property management guy and he said it would be OK because there is no smoke detector in that room and if we kept the door shut and the smudging short, everything would be fine. I informed our receptionist and office manager. Good thing I did that because our receptionist said 27 people came to her and said, "I smell pot!" I was glad to be a part of this ceremony. We might have done it earlier but this person's mother was taken out of her home as a young girl in South Dakota and taken to an Indian boarding school, to be indoctrinated in American culture. I learned today, and this tops my ironic thermometer, she was taught by nuns who spoke only French. I got smudged. Today was awesome!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...