Sunday, April 30, 2017

Waiting

Here is Sicily I am waiting for my second grandchild to appear.  It has been almost two years so I almost forgot what it is like waiting in hope for a loved one to suffer pain.  So far she feels no pain and I feel good and bad about that.  The end of pregnancy is not a time where a parent has much control - a huge warning sign that parents don't ever have much control over their children.  We sit, we walk, we wait and eat great food. My granddaughter plays and calls out "Grandma?" as I wash the dishes.  I reply, "Yes, dear?"  She repeats "Grandma?" 25 times.  Twenty five is a lot of repeats but the sound of her little voice does not get old. We wait.  Sometimes, well, more than sometimes, every time we leave the Navy base we drive over bumpy roads.  The roads to the base are extremely bumpy.  We go to a dinner party at a friend's house. I meet people from China, Hawaii, Romania, and Brazil.  We sit outside eating in the yard while ash from Mount Etna settles on our hair, clothes and food.Waiting is good. Waiting can be fun.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...