Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Adventurous

Today I went to a funeral of a woman I admired greatly. She was described as adventurous. She liked adventure. I guess so because after she graduated from high school she left the farm and moved to New York City where she lived in a YWCA. That act is adventurous. So that got me thinking about adventure. What makes an adventure? Did Alice had adventures in Wonderland? Well, yes Alice did but those were imaginary adventures in the mind of someone who might have been under the influence of some mind-altering substances. Usually when my good friend calls me she asks how I am and then asks what is my next adventure. She thinks I am adventurous and I like that. I think adventurous is doing something a wee bit dangerous and not without risk but not so reckless as to be completely stupid. Although I have done some things that were completely stupid and I was just lucky not to get into too much trouble. So far I have not been to jail except on tours. Like Helen Keller said, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." I don't want my life to be nothing. I think adventurous is one of my new favorite words.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...