Friday, July 26, 2019

Urinetown

On Thursday I went to see a musical play in which my nephew played the part of Senator  Fipp. This play is a satire about unpleasant topics such as bodily functions, corruption, poverty, corporate greed, the legal system, dysfunctional families, and local politics. The story is narrated by a police officer, Officer Lockstock. Officer Lockstock had a tremendous voice. She was so much in character that she heckled us ladies in line during intermission and was, frankly, a little scary. I thought I might have to pay to use the toilet. Paying to use the toilet is what happens in Urinetown. Those who don't pay are severely punished. I have run into situation in my life where I had to use the toilet. When I was a kid we used to pick up our west coast aunts from the airport. At the airport the toilet cost a quarter. We crawled under the door instead. I was smaller then. Also in France I had to pay to use the toilet. I think that was in 2002. If you have to go bad enough you don't mind spending two Euros to use the facilities. Also earlier this year at a bus station in Greece we had to tip the person waiting in the restroom. I can't say Urinetown is my favorite musical but it was interesting and entertaining and thought provoking.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...