Monday, July 1, 2019

Forest Removal

Last week a triangle  of oak forest was completely removed. Bulldozers were brought in and the big oak trees were chipped into mulch so quickly I could hardly believe my eyes. The oak forest used  to be on the north side of Highway 10  in Coon Rapids between the railroad tracks and the Holland Truck firm which is very close to Coon Creek. I wondered how this disruption of the environment would affect the water clarity on Coon Creek. On Thursday I got a secchi reading on 22 centimeters. I could only see through 22 centimeters. I have never before seen so much sand and silt in Coon Creek before and I have been checking it for 8 years. Wow. If you want  to see historial data on water quality on a body of water in Minnesota near you, check out this website.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...