Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Sparks Contentment

Today was a super busy day at work. I had three meetings in the morning. A couple emergencies came up so I helped with that. After lunch I had scheduled time to move my office. I believe I moved to this office with the nice window in 2005. If that is correct, I have squatted in here for 14 years. Ironically today I moved back into the office I first moved into when the building was built in 1991. So I had 14 years in one office and 14 years in another office. How strange. I lugged all my belongings back and I thought to myself, "Self, do you really need all this stuff? Today might be a good day to lighten your load." I haven't completely unpacked all my stuff but I decided that the item pictured to the left was an item it was time to let go of. Offspring #1 made this for me in first grade out of clay. The blue lower left corner has holes from when he pushed his little fingers in the clay to make pencil holders. The pencil holders never really held pencils because the pencils always fell out. I loved it when I got it and I love it now but I'm not going to keep it. I took a picture of it, thanked it for it's service, and threw it in the trash. I know some people think it's odd that he wrote my name instead of Mom but that never really bothered me. I have a wonderful four day weekend coming up to think about it. If I really want it back, I can take it out of the trash on Monday morning. I read that book about tidying up by that Japanese woman. She advised all readers to ask if the item sparked joy. If the item sparked joy you should keep it. If it didn't spark joy get rid of it. This red desk organizer does not spark joy for me. Instead it sparks a pleasant memory and a feeling of contentment. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...