Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Camping in New Ulm

We camped in Flandreau State Park in New Ulm over the holiday. The first day was sunny and warm and I went kayaking. On Friday the sky was  cloudy and it looked like  rain all day. We walked around New Ulm in the morning. I wanted to find the only wooden structure that survived the conflict in 1962. We did eventually find it after walking right past it a couple of times. New Ulm is a cute down. We went back to the camp site to make lunch. After lunch Offspring #2 wanted to go on a tour of Schell's brewery. I have not been to this brewery in thirty years but I did remember the beautiful gardens and the peacocks. We got there for the one o'clock tour but it was full so we hung out until the 2:30 tour. At 2:30 we got a tour of the brewery and the museum. I did not know that Schell's bought out the Grain Belt line of beer and that beer is also brewed here. I also didn't know they made the 1919 root beer. We walked through the factory and past the beer bottle fillers. We learned quite a bit about making beer. I am not a beer person. I just don't like the taste. So when we got to the end I gave my five two-ounce samples to Offspring #2. I also gave her my full glass of beer which is called sangria beer. I tasted that one. Sangria beer tastes like juice. I don't really like juice except tomato juice so I have her that one too. After the brewery we went back into town to see the five o'clock show of the Glockenspiel. As the song finished rain started to pour down. We left. We did not feel like going back to the campsite in the pouring rain to make dinner or to try to start a campfire. We decided to go to Turner Hall for dinner. This hall was built by the Turner society. A group of German descendants decided to congregate in New Ulm and build a gymnasium and encourage gymnasts. This hall has the oldest bar in Minnesota. We had a delicious dinner and when we came out rain was pouring down so hard the street was flooded. So here we are, camping near a river that is already flooded and it's raining cats and dogs. The only logical step to take was to rent a room at the Econolodge which is what we did.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...