Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Happy Fall Equinox

 

Today the amount of sunlight equals the amount of darkness. Yeah! We are half way to spring again! This afternoon I walked the Superior Hiking Trail behind my house down hill to a hardware store, a bike store and a farmer's market. I bought 2 pounds of roma tomatoes, 2 large poblano peppers and one large red onion. I roasted those vegetables in the over along with some garlic cloves, oregano, basil and salt and pepper. What I didn't eat I preserved in a glass jar with olive oil to keep in the refrigerator.

I had a nice day for a walk in the park. White throated sparrows were talking. See how the creek reflects those trees back up into the sky? A few fallen leaves dot the surface. Water is running faster now that we have had some rain in September. Last Sunday I met the man who maintains this portion of the Superior Hiking Trail. Walking the path maintained by someone you know means more than walking a path maintained by a stranger. Part of the part on my way home was being maintained by city employees. As I approached the 8th street bridge I heard machinery running. As I walked under the bridge I was passed by a young city employee walking behind a motorized wheel barrow contraption with continuous wheels like a tank. I had never seen such a thing before but I imagine it comes in handy on a trail like this one. On my walk I realized that things have changed. My trail was mostly empty. Kids are back in school. School buses pick up students. Stores are less crowded on week days compared to weekends. Most of my neighbors are gone during the day. This is finally what I thought retirement would be like!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...