Monday, September 13, 2021

Sven's Base Camp Hostel

Offspring #2 booked a tree house for our last night in Alaska. Sven's Base Camp Hostel is located in Fairbanks and it is within walking distance of downtown Fairbanks. This is my view upon leaving our house headed to the bunkhouse where the bathrooms, sinks, showers, laundry, and kitchen are located. That first step onto the rope bridge is the scariest. To get across I had to channel my inner "Jane" and picture Tarzan waiting for me.

Look at the beautiful birch wood railing. I could do that!

Every time Offspring #2 rolled over in bed the whole tree house shook a little. For some reason, I got the sneezes in this tree house. Maybe the pillow had some dust in it. In any case I sneezed seven times in a row and shook the tree house. 

Try hanging on to the rope bridge while carrying your back pack, your fanny pack, and your rolling suitcase!

The temperature was below freezing when I went to the bathroom at 6 a.m. but it warmed up to 68 degrees by afternoon.

Tree houses are fun. We had an electric heater which kept us toasty warm at night.

I would stay here again at Sven's hostel. I met some fascinating people in the bunkhouse at breakfast.

Sven's offers several tree house, several tents on platforms, several cabins, and camp grounds.

I am proud to say I slept in a tree house.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...