Thursday, September 23, 2021

Turtle Wax

Today the weather was sunny and only a slight southern breeze so I thought I would use my kayak and get a good arm workout. I have been to Woodstock Bay on the Saint Louis river twice before but I love the plastic kayak launcher. Thank you city of Superior, Wisconsin! I can get in and out of my kayak, Jeeves, so easily!

In the far distance you can see the blue bridge that is the Richard I. Bong Memorial bridge that was built in 1985. I don't want to paddle over by the shipping lanes. I can see ships are being loaded with cargo. I will stay here on the Wisconsin side where peace and quiet abounds. Belted kingfishers fly tree to tree.

This is a red pine tree that fell into the river and died. This pine must have known the end was nigh because just look at all the cones the tree produced in a frenzy to procreate. I once had a plum tree in my back yard that I thought looked ill but one summer the plum tree was loaded with plums. We ate plums. I made plum jams and jellies. I gave plum preserves away. I had plums in abundance that fall. In spring of the next year, the plum tree had died and I had to cut it down. I gave one jar of plum jam to a cantankerous neighbor. She loved plum jam with ham or lamb or some kind of meat. Those plum preserves sweetened our relationship. I am not in contact with her anymore because she moved to Texas.

And look at this grassy plant living on a snag. I admire your can-do attitude little grassy plant. Also, doesn't it look a little bit like a bird of paradise?

This white pine is leaning over the water. The balance is off and soon this tree will also fall into this bay off the Saint Louis river. The branches shimmer from the sun reflecting upwards onto the tree. Could this majestic tree be 200 years old?

In the center of the photo is evidence of something sliding into the water. The grass is all piled down and matted. The grass is bent down toward the shore. Who did this? A beaver or a river otter or a black bear or a person?

The water is like a mirror except where the whirligigs water beetles or Jesus bugs swim around in circles so fast they disturb the surface.

Look at this cute little painted turtle looking up into the sky. The sun warms the turtle's back. The carapace is so shiny it looks as if some one applied Turtle Wax!  I suspect this turtle is meditating so I back away from it.

Some leaves have turned red and reflect off the water. What a perfect day to spend in my happy place. 

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...