Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Toimi

 

Today I went to get a peek at the Greenwood forest fire and to collect some pine cones. I actually got within 5 miles of the fire but didn't see any burned areas. I was glad the air quality was good. Here I am by the Superior National Forest Sullivan Lake campground near Brimson, MN.

I heard all the national forest campsites were closed but there were a couple people camping here. Maybe they work for the forest. This is a nice campsite. Sullivan lake appears to have no homes on it from this angle.

Each campsite has a fire ring. There were no pine cones anywhere close by. I suppose they were all used for kindling. Somebody tried to burn a very large log. The Greenwood fire was started by lightening.

I would definitely camp here.

Then I came across a Finnish pioneer school. I had heard about this school that operated from 1914 to 1942. These topographical maps show the farms and the geography. Forest has reclaimed nearly all the space those hard working Finns cleared.

I had wanted to come here six months ago so I was lucky I chanced upon it today.

Whoa! My reflection shows I am wearing an orange top, carrying an orange purse and breaking in my new orange waterproof hiking boots. The sun is so bright I can't see what picture my phone took until I got home.

I didn't know there was a Superior National Forest Scenic byway.

Tytto means Women and Poika means men's bathroom. These were nice bathrooms considering they are vault toilets.

This is the pumphouse. Kids had to pump water and carry it to the school.

I'd like to come back on a Saturday when the museum is open. 

I like the simple, sparse appearance of the Finnish flag. 

I would be interested in talking to someone who went to this school and hear about their experiences.

I never got any pine cones. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...