Sunday, September 12, 2021

The 49th State

Our trip mascot, Bullwinkle, overlooking Canadian Rockies on our flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage.

After a day in Anchorage we took the Alaska train ride south to Seward to go whale watching. We had a five hour train ride, a six hour cruise, and another 5 hour train ride back to Anchorage.

From Anchorage we took the train north to Denali National Park. Do any other states have their very own train system? I love this train!

Parts of the park are restricted due to a land slide and parts are restricted due to Covid. This part is restricted because this is where the moose rut. The moose have a section of the park right along the one and only road to do the deed. 

A willow ptarmigan struts along the gravel path blending in with the background.

A forest service log cabin in the woods is still used by the park dog sledders who go out on patrol. Nails jut out of the wooden window coverings which I guess is to deter the bears from coming in.

Offspring #2 directs me to take a picture of her by that rock near some trees. I know she has navy pants on and a purple jacket but from here everybody looks the same so I take a photo. I take 25 photos. I have no idea which one is her. Later I learn she can see me by our rental car and is waving at me but I just walk away like I don't care about her at all.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...