Saturday, May 6, 2023

BioBlitz

Today I attended a BioBlitz at the Hartley Nature Center. This is part of the 2023 Sea Grant Bioblitz Project on INaturalist. Some people who were running the event showed me how to join the project. This BioBlitz was informal compared to the one I attended at the Sam Zim bog. This is a Bebb's willow tree.

Lichen called Boreal Oakmoss.

One of the leaders sent me and her daughter to find some fairy shrimp. I had seen some 9 days ago so we walked to the pond together. This is a mosquito larvae we found in the same pond.

This is a fairy shrimp swimming on it's back. I tried to get a picture through the microscope using my phone with no luck.

Red-twigged dogwood kinda looks like a circulatory system inside a human.

While I was there I thought I would explore one of my four vernal pools. I hoped to find a frog or a salamander. Instead I found a mallard.

Here is my first vernal pool. That is my car in the background. I did find mosquito larvae in this pond too.

I got lost looking for this pond and that is when I spotted this white tailed deer. I had a good time exploring the park in the fog with other nature lovers.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...