Sunday, May 28, 2023

Phenology Hike

 

Today I went on a phenology hike at Hartley Nature Center. I downloaded an app called Nature's Notebook onto my phone and we had a lesson on how to use the app to record phenology. I had biked to the nature center and we spent over two hours there learning about phenology and looking around. Look at the green mustache on this green frog. This is the frog that makes a sound like a loose banjo string when the water warms up. This frog was lurking in the Hartley pool. We saw American redstart, chestnut sided warblers, broad-winged hawk, red-winged blackbirds, Trumpeter swans, a belted kingfisher, American robins, turkey vultures and goldfinches. One of our instructors made a whistle out of a willow branch.

This was a very athletic leopard frog who did not want to be picked up. See the anger in the eyes?

I walked around Hartley by myself for another hour before hiking home. Once at home I picked these violets in the backyard and added them to my salad. Delicious!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...