Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Elderhood

 I really thought I would like Elderhood by Louise Aronson. The author is a doctor with 25 years of experience. She specialized in geriatrics. She is also an educator. But my mind kept wandering off during the pages. I really liked the stories about individual patients but then the book would wander off into philosophy  or the difficulties of medical school or some research projects that did not seem to relate to the subject at hand. The author claims the term she coined, elderhood, earns more respect and admiration than old age. Potato/potato. She also includes all the derogatory thoughts society has ever had about old age and that wasn't pleasant to read. No one likes to be told they are not worth the time and effort to be treated for their ailments. This just wasn't the book for me. Maybe others would like it better.



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...