Sunday, May 7, 2023

Symphony


 Last night I attended a symphony at the DECC here in Duluth. The Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra held a sold out concert. I attended because they had a deal called "fill the hall." I got a ticket in the balcony for only 20 dollars. Parking at the DECC is ten dollars. The orchestra had another deal where you could take a bus for only 5 dollars. So I met the bus at a assisted living facility on Mount Royale. Turns out this bus went to five assisted living facilities so I got a tour of five institutions here on the east side of town. All but three people on the bus had gray hair. Some of the riders could barely make it up the bus steps even with assistance from the very patient driver. I had to admire their moxie because they went out on a cold foggy night even though they were obviously in considerable pain. The first half of the concert was all American songs by Copeland. They had two soloists singing. After the intermission we listened to Beethoven's ninth symphony. He wrote this piece of music when he was deaf and three years before his death. A group of 120 choir members were also on stage for the second half. They sat quietly for 45 minutes but stood up to sing "Ode To Joy." Several people I know from my classes at UMD were on stage performing. I had a great evening.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...