Monday, May 8, 2023

Vernal PoolsT

Today I surveyed three of the four vernal pools at Hartley Nature Center. I walked into this one looking for tadpoles or salamanders. I found mosquito larvae.

Zero reptiles talking here. Ravens were talking though. Water temperature was 40 degrees. This nature center uses candy thermometers. Maybe I should use one of my candy thermometers when I monitor the stream instead of the cheap thermometer I got free with Smokey the Bear bling.
 
This one is the third one and is about the size of a bathtub. Handy that it is right off the sidewalk though. Water temperature was 48 degrees.

This last one was a mile hike up the hill. Do you see a pond? I do not.

I will have to check with the organizers to see if I am at the correct spot.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...