Monday, May 15, 2023

Wildflowers at Jay Cooke

I drove to Carlton today to look at the wildflowers blooming at Jay Cooke State Park. I parked on Leimer road. I parked at the small parking lot. Most of the wildflowers are at this end of the park. This is bloodroot and it was ten feet from my car.

This is cut leafed toothwort. I got there about 8 a.m. I left at noon and even more wildflowers were up as the temperature warmed up. I saw a few bugs but no mosquitoes and no ticks.

Virginia spring beauty. Lesser flycatchers and oven birds were calling.

Fawn Lilies.

Yellow trout lily.


Marsh marigolds.

Wild ginger flowers are right at the soil level.

Round loved hepatica.

Wood anemone.

More round lobed hepatica.

This picture doesn't do it justice but thousands of yellow and white wildflowers dot the landscape.

Jack in the pulpit.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...