Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Annual Bee Hive Cake


Where I work it is the tradition to bring a treat on your birthday. I've worked with one guy (the big cheese) for about 19, almost 20 years now and he always brings in 3 bee hive cakes on his birthday. Bee hive cakes are the speciality of our local bakery, Han's Bakery. Bee hive cakes do not look like bee hives. They are round, maybe 12 to 15 inch diameter and 2 or 3 inches high. The two white/honey cakes are separated by a luscious cream filling and the top is dusted with powdered sugar. I think in all these years I've had a piece of bee hive cake once, twice at the most. Cakes don't tempt me. I'm more of a cookie person. But when I came in the lunchroom today and saw those cakes on the table, I felt comforted. The bee hive cakes mark off my year much like April 15 (tax day) and the first day of summer. It's a comfort to me to see those cakes on the table.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...