Sunday, December 14, 2008

Made Time For Music

I had so much to get done today but I took time instead to play some Christmas music on the piano. I have a piano in my basement. I don't play it often and I'm not that good at it, but I do enjoy playing. My Christmas song book, like all my piano music, is very basic. My music is so basic it includes the letter number inside the notes. My music training includes one quarter of piano at the University of Minnesota in 1973 (my final piece was My Country Tis of Thee) and one class in community education called "Basic Piano For Hopelessly Busy People." I've taken it from there and I can play well enough to have some fun. Besides enjoyment, I think the piano playing is fashioning new connections in my brain that will ward off Alzheimer's for just a little longer. I can switch from the C chord to the F and G chords without looking down. The D and B sharp chords require at least a glance.

2 comments:

Kathleen Riley said...

I miss my piano.

We had one at the old house that was very honky tonk sounding, but I still liked playing it. Taught my husband the basics of playing too.

That piano was given to us and from the creation in the late 1800's, it had only been given from one person to the next and no money ever traded hands for getting to enjoy it.

Now I harken back to a recital in a nursing home where I played my heart out and one of the attendees while clapping yells out, "What are we clapping for?" So much for my career in music...

I was so lucky to meet Julia Durig who taught me how to play with chords and pretty much write any soung I heard on the radio onto a sheet about 8.5 x 5.5 inches. Best years ever for learning to play music.

Good for you!

Julia Durig said...

I would love to talk to you! I am still teaching! Visit my Facebook page!
Julia Durig

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...