Saturday, December 20, 2008

She Feels Closer Now

Maybe this sounds crazy or maybe you totally understand. My Christmas cactus is blooming downstairs. When my cactus blooms, I feel my Grandmother's presence. She feels closer. She is there in the room with the cactus like a guardian angel, listening, approving, and soothing. She and my Grandfather helped me plant that cactus from a cutting. I was living in St. Cloud at the time. I came over to their house with my pot and potting soil. The three of us sat at the table and planted the cactus. All six hands were involved. She said she had that plant over fifty years. Occasionally she would ask about the cactus. The original cactus is the one that is blooming today. It's grown and had to be repotted many times. Parts of it have broken off from kids playing and those parts were rooted and given only to my closest friends and family. The original plant has two open blossoms and many buds coming. I can feel Grandma's presence today. She feels closer now.

1 comment:

Kathleen Riley said...

My sister and I were talking about her Christmas Cactus today -- that is so amazing.

The cactus she has came from our aunt (mother's sister) and she got it from our uncle's mother who got it from her mother.

Our uncle is still living and is 90-ish. His mother and grandmother have been gone for years and yet are still here today.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...