Monday, December 29, 2008

Project Bird Feeder Watch Update


Saturday: Black capped chickadee - 5, Slate colored junco - 5

Sunday: Black capped chickadee - 5, gold finch - 2, Slate colored junco - 3, Downy woodpecker - 1


I noticed the juncos like the snow. They do not hesitate to put their legs in the deep snow and push it around to look for a seed or two. I can only imagine how cold those skinny little legs must be. The juncos remind me of little Easter eggs that were put in a cup of gray dye but the top (belly) stuck out above the water line and stayed white. The juncos don't eat from the bird feeder like the chickadees. They prefer the left over canary food I set out on the deck railing or the grass and flower seeds from the garden. (Baby talk) Those little juncos are so cute!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...