Monday, December 15, 2008

Trying New Things


I am not a tea drinker or a coffee drinker, never have been. On really, really cold days (like today) I will accept a cup of coffee to hold and warm my hands but not to drink. I've just never liked the taste. A couple weeks ago I had to wait for 3 hours at my Honda dealership while my car was being serviced with the 110,000 mile check up. During the 3 hour wait, I got bored. At the dealership they offer coffee and pretzels and cookies and tea. I made myself a cup of cranberry herbal tea, just to break up the wait. I took a sip. The tea didn't exactly taste good but it was a step up from a cup of hot water. I drank the whole thing - my first cup of tea ever. Always searching for warm and calorie free drinks, I bought some ginger herb tea at the grocery store. Again, it a step up from hot water. I made myself two cups of ginger tea and drank them both so that makes 3 cups of tea in my lifetime. Now I belong to the tea drinker's club. I can't believe it's my hand holding the string to the tea bag. I'm inexperienced. I've yet to develop fine tea drinking habits. The directions say to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Steep? What is steep? Do I just let the bag float in there for the time? I see other people jiggle their tea bags. So I jigged my tea bag too. Are you supposed to jig it in quick up and down movements as if jigging for bluegills? Or should I jig it slowly around the perimeter as if I'm trolling for walleyes? The tea bag on a string is fun to play with. I'm sure the tea bag manufacturers put it on there for a reason. What would happen if you didn't pull the tea bag out and just let it sit in your cup while you drank the tea? Oh, I guess the tea bag floats creating a choking hazard. It's probably safer to pull the tea bag out of the cup before drinking. If you see me drinking tea awkwardly, don't laugh, I'm a newbie. Between the ginger and the tea and my cuddle duds (long johns), I made it through this cold day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! Mom, you're so funny. I'm glad you bought some tea and are semi-enjoying it. FYI, you can leave the tea bag in while you drink it, but the last few sips are really strong.

Unknown said...

Steeping is just letting it rest in the hot water. Swishing the tea bag around seems like it would help, but I think I've read that it doesn't, actually.

I am mostly a black-tea drinker these days, English-style with milk and sugar. I got tired of most herbal teas; I'm not sure why. Lipton has a green tea with Mandarin orange that is very nice when I want a change.

I enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a fellow non coffee/tea drinker. Unfortunately, I may be leaving our small fold for coffee (http://www.findingslc.com/2008/12/big-water-yurt-journal-entry-3.html). But so far I have resisted pretty well.

Hilarious post, in any case!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...