Saturday, December 27, 2008

Under The Banner Of Heaven

I just finished a non-fiction book called "Under the Banner Of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. I've tried to read Krakauer before. He wrote a story about a trip up Mount Everest but I quit the book before I was halfway through. There was only so much cold and misery I could stand. This book I got through but it wasn't always pleasant reading. This book is about the Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS), the fundamentalist branch of LDS, and the whole debate between faith and reason. In the epilogue, Krakauer admits to being agnostic. I had figured that out by reading his story. To illustrate this Mormon religion, he takes the story of a LDS fundamentalist murderer. I don't think that is really fair. You can't fairly illustrate Islam by using the 911 terrorists as an example. And you can't fairly illustrate Christianity by using fundamentalist Christians as an example either. LDS is not the only faith that has a violent extremist fringe. Krakauer spends a lot of pages talking about plural marriage. He goes into extreme detail about the complicated family trees that result when one man takes on 20 wives. He does have some good questions and one of those is why do we spend so much time and effort locating and saving Elizabeth Smart (the Mormon girl abducted by a LDS fundamentalist) when there are numerous young teen aged girls who are taken as wives every day in places like northern Arizona, Texas and Utah? Why not put the same effort into saving those girls like Elizabeth Smart was saved? Just this last April a polygamist ranch in Texas was raided. Many of those children were sent back to the compound run by Warren Jeffs. People said the state of Texas went too far. Why? After reading the book, I don't know the answers but I appreciate being prodded to asking them.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...