Monday, December 22, 2008

I Guess The Birds Don't Want To Be Counted

I don't count birds on Monday for Project Feeder Watch but I was watching because I had the day off work and was busy in the kitchen all morning. Those birds went through more food between 9 and 11 a.m. this morning than they did the previous 24 hours. I saw 5 chickadees, 3 juncos, a female cardinal and 6 goldfinches. Besides appearance, I can tell the birds apart by their behavior. The chickadees are so polite and proper. Black-capped chickadees fly in to the bird feeder, take their sunflower seed, and immediately fly off leaving space for the next bird to come and eat. The goldfinches sit on the bird feeder and chomp, chomp, chomp for minutes on end. Goldfinches don't care who is waiting. They leave when they're good and ready.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...